The Georgian Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA) has released data on the deployment of the Russian military at various locations on Georgian territory as of August 27. “All locations and numbers given here are double-checked,” the Ministry said. “MIA could not verify all information available and the actual number of both Russian military equipment and personnel on the ground may be much higher.”
Russian Illegal Checkpoints in Georgia
The locations of Russian illegal checkpoints in Eastern Georgia, including Shida Kartli, other adjacent areas of “South Ossetia” and “South Ossetia” itself, according to MIA sources as of August 27 2008, are:
1. Perevi (Sachkhere district)2. Ghodora (Sachkhere district)3. Muguti (Znauri district)4. Ali (Khashuri district)5. Ptsa (Kareli district)6. Variani (Gori district)7. Karaleti (Gori district)8. Shavshvebi (Gori district)9. Ergneti (Gori district)10. Tsiara (Java district)
Note: There are approximately 60 Russian servicemen and 4 armoured vehicles stationed in each of these places. The vehicles often move from one place to another “patrolling” the nearby territories and villages.
11. Ikoti in Akhalgori district (this post has 7 infantry combating vehicles, 1 armoured vehicle, 6 Ural-type vehicles, 2 Gaz-66 vehicles, 1 military power shovel, 1 mobile medical unit, 2 grenade-launchers, trenches, 100 Russian servicemen)12. Approximately 15 armoured vehicles are stationed between the villages of Meghvrekisi and Brotsleti in Gori district.13. 1 km north of Odzisi in the Akhalgori district (there is 1 armoured vehicle, 15 Russian servicemen)14. The village of Mosabruni in the Akhalgori district (there is 1 armoured vehicle, 15 Russian servicemen)
Note: Russian servicemen and armoured vehicles on the newly opened checkpoint north of Odzisi and Mosabruni were redeployed from other checkpoints.
The locations of Russian checkpoints in Western Georgia according to MIA sources as of August 27 2008 are:
Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti Region
1. Teklati (near city Senaki), on the area of the former mechanical plant (5 armoured vehicles, 1 crane, 2 Ural-type vehicles, 1 vehicle with communication systems, 1 UAZ-type vehicle, 1 four wheel drive car, 1 large army tent, trenches, 40 Russian servicemen)
2. Pirveli Maisi (Khobi district), near a former Georgian police checkpoint (2 armoured vehicles, 2 Ural-type vehicles, 1 UAZ-type vehicle, 1 large army tent, trenches, 40 Russian servicemen)
3. In Poti between the villages of Shua Khorga and Chaladidi (Khobi district), so called Poti Minor, near the turning to Kulevi oil terminal (4 armoured vehicles, 2 Ural-type vehicles, 1 large army tent, 30 Russian servicemen)
4. Menji, Bakaraia neighborhood (Senaki district), in the grounds of the sanatorium 10 metres from the railway line (3 armoured vehicles, 4 Ural-type vehicles, 2 cranes, 1 military power shovel, 1 large army tent, 40 Russian servicemen)
5. Kantisubani, on the Tsalenjikha-Chkhorotsku road section (3 armoured vehicles, 2 Ural-type vehicles, 1 large army tent, trenches, 30 Russian servicemen)
6. Crossroads at the entrance to the villages of Chale and Muzhava in the Tsalenjikha district (3 armoured vehicles, 1 Ural-type vehicle, 20 Russian servicemen)
7. Chkhorotsku, at a former airfield, near the Senaki-Chkhorotsku highway (3 armoured vehicles, 2 Ural-type vehicles, 1 vehicle with electricity generator, 2 large army tents, 40 Russian servicemen)
8. Nabada settlement, at the entrance to Poti (2 armoured vehicles, 1 Ural-type vehicle, 1 UAZ-type vehicle, 1 military power shovel, 1 large army tent, 30 Russian servicemen)
Upper Abkhazia/Kodori Gorge
9. Gentsvisi10. Omarishara11. Sakeni12. Chkhalta13. Kvapchara
Note: Due to the extremely difficult situation in the region, obtaining accurate numbers on Russian and Abkhaz military deployment is difficult. All sources report substantial Russian and Abkhaz deployments in the region.
In addition, the Deputy Head of the Russian General Staff, Colonel-General Anatoly Nogovitsyn, stated during a press conference on August 22, 2008 that the Russian armed forces had established new checkpoints in the following locations:
14. Khudoni 15.Jikmuri 16.Ochamchire17.Gupagu18. Meore Gudava 19. Anaklia 20. Mount Kvira
Note: The Russian side has not denied the existence of the abovementioned checkpoints.
Total number of personnel and vehicles:
• Russian servicemen: 970• Armoured vehicles: 66• Infantry combating vehicles: 7• Grenade launchers: 2• Ural-type vehicles: 22• UAZ-type vehicles: 3• Gaz-66 vehicles: 2• 4x4 type cars: 1• Military Army tents: 8• Cranes: 3• Military power shovels: 3• Vehicle with communication systems: 1• Vehicle with electricity generator: 1• Mobile medical unit: 1